Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Headed back to running soon

   I have had 3 months off of running on doctor's orders. Now I am being given the green light to start small runs. 3 months is the longest I have gone without running since 2011 when I started.
  It is going to be a hard start I am sure. Like the above cartoon I am sure just a bit of running will be hard but the fact I can start again soon fills me with hope and joy. Running is my favorite thing and it has been difficult not to do but I want to listen to my doctor and do what he thinks is best.
  Ultras are not an option for me anymore I don't think. Perhaps that will change but for now it's alright if I don't do another. I had an amazing time doing the ones I did and will never forget it. My doctor told me last week when I saw him at first he wants me to do the elliptical since that is like running but without impact. I have not been a big fan of the elliptical but once again will do what he says.
  I am excited to lace up my running shoes and head out the door. The first run might be hard but I know from past experience it will get better and better. When I get that first runner's high I will be ecstatic. I will be starting a little training for a half marathon in the spring called Run with the Foxes--training with a workout buddy who has been very patient with my rest time and needing to walk instead of run.
  For races that is it. Might change, might not. The most important thing I have learned is to love my body, to take care of it and listen to it's signals so as not to overdo. I have learned a lot in this last 3 months--about my body and it's limits, about my tendency to push myself too hard, about the fact that my friends stick with me even when I am not engaging in the activities they do.
  I am going to make sure this time that I take care of myself--keep my wits about me even when running becomes a bit easier and more fun. I will be happy to just have the option to run if I want to. I will make sure I engage in plenty of other fun ways to exercise--joining the YMCA; taking kickboxing again perhaps; swimming; cycling; lifting weights. If my body amidst all this activity says NO even once I will listen to it. I will stop. No pain-no gain has always been stupid to me.
  I will also have other forms of fun like I have been doing the last few months when I couldn't run. I will get into funny blogs on the internet; watch movies; have FUN on my new job as a barista (which is really fun for me!! Especially as a coffee addict) and just hanging out with my friends on my times off. I will have fun running with BARA and other running friends and I will have fun running alone.




So if you see me running again in the next few weeks--even if I look like I am not enjoying it at the moment?--give me a high five.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment